Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Newlyweds Breakfast Nook

The boxes are {mostly} unpacked and we have moved full speed ahead towards setting up our home. I feel like we have six hundred projects going on, and even more ideas spinning around inside my head. 

Yesterday I posted this little peak into our first finished project. {!}

{Our Breakfast Nook}

The kitchen in our new house has a small eat-in nook. The space is probably large enough for a small table and four chairs, but Josh and I wanted to embrace our newlywed status and create a little spot for just the two of us to enjoy. 

Naturally...it was a DIY



Our perfect-for-us breakfast nook features two cozy chairs and a small cafe table. 

Knowing I wanted two slip covered chairs and a small white table, I hit all of my go-to shops. After hours and hours and hours of researching I finally came to conclusion that we would need to put some elbow grease into this vision in order to bring it to a budget-friendly reality. 

The ideal furnishings: 

Parsons Style Slipcovered Chair: upwards of $250/each
{Ballard}

Simple White Round Table: running around $200
{Ikea}


I knew I could furnish and accessorize the space for less than the $700 I would spend on those 3 pieces. 

The Chairs:
A {lucky} click on CL brought me to these two chairs for $20/each. At that price I couldn't pass them up, the cushions are in good condition, the frame is just fine and the size and shape are great for the space. 

After searching high and low for the perfect slipcover, I finally landed on the Napa Armchair Slipcover,  Long-Length in Linen Flax from Pottery Barn

The slipcovers didn't fit perfectly so I added batting to the arms, a 1 inch cushion to the seat and stretched the fabric for length with clamps. The result is one that I can most certainly live with!

Total Chair Cost just $90/each! 
Compared to $250/each from most retailers

The Table:
We Josh built our table using two pre-cut tabletops and a table leg from Lowes. 

We Josh trimmed the table leg about 5 inches and connected both of the tabletops to the leg using 2 metal table leg plates. 
There are no pictures of the assembly process because my sweet sweet husband put the table together in secret as a surprise to me. :)

Large Tabletop $17
Small Tabletop {used as the base} $10
Table Leg $15
Connecting Hardware $2/each
White Paint + Gloss Polyurethane- already had on hand

Total Table Cost just $46


Accessories:
Circle Jute Rug, World Market, housewarming gift from Mom & Dad!
Mr & Mrs Pillows, Ballard Designs, wedding gift from The Gillespie's
Tray, Pottery Barn, wedding gift from The Goodwin's

Surprise! 
Mom and Dad surprised us on move-in day with the wall shelf that I blogged about here! We looove it!

{Breakfast Nook Table & Chairs Total: $226}
I am so happy with this space, it has become the go-to spot for our morning coffee and bible reading {we are reading through Hebrews. totally random but loving it.}. I think this space will really be used often, I can see friends & family sitting there while we cook, weekend lunches and breakfasts being served, me sitting there with a glass of wine while Josh cooks for me....{pinch me}

Hope you enjoyed our first project! 



7 comments:

  1. So cute Amanda! I need to learn to be more crafty! -Becca (Majors) Petrowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca! I am so excited about all of our projects- will be posting all the time :)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love it Amanda! You are definitely inspiring me to work on our house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Bailey! It's so much fun, I am totally addicted to decorating! More coming soon :)

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely adorable blog. I actually found you after reading your tweet about The Pioneer Woman. Frankly, I was a little stunned.

    How is it that seemingly intelligent people get caught up in the hype for a phony Internet persona? Have you ever researched the back story on Ree Drummond? There’s much more than meets the eye with this fake “little ol’ ranch wife.” Last year alone, she was embroiled in two plagiarism scandals stemming from her blog posts. Routinely she appears on morning talk shows and absolutely skewers the culinary profession, i.e. when Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts asked her how long a peach whiskey sauce should boil and Ree replied, “until it gets hot.”

    When it comes to cooking advice, I look to professional cooks, not some bored housewife who lifted recipes from church and community cookbooks, never credited sources, then used her husband's mega $$$ to buy her way into the culinary world.

    Did you know that Drummond Land & Cattle derives income from the US Bureau of Land Management for babysitting the wild mustangs Ree claims she "loves?" In 2011, they received $2,181,000 for their "hard" work.

    Before you jump on the PW bandwagon, you might want to check out these blogs:

    http://themarlborowoman.com
    http://pienearwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, love your table, what is the diameter of the top and bottom?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! It makes me so happy to hear from readers!
Let me know if you have any questions- I will always do my best to respond
:) amch