Tuesday, August 28, 2012

slow cooker clean eating salsa chicken: review & recipe

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

Clean Eating recipe from He and She Eat Clean

{Full recipe from HSEC here}

This recipe is intended to be made once a week and should make 5 lunches for 2 people. So far, so true. 

Ingredients:
5-7 Chicken Breasts, Organic, Preservative Free, Perfect Chicks
1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, with juice
1.5 Cups Salsa {we had a yummy chipotle one on hand}
2 TB Powdered Garlic
2 TB Red Pepper Flakes {eek! this was a LOT!}
1 Tb Black Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

What To Do:
1. Put it allllll in the crock pot; make sure the chicken is covered with liquid
2. Slow cook for 7 hours on low {or 3.5 on high}
3. Shred the chicken while it is still in the pot
4. Spread between 10 to-go containers

This was easily the most simple recipe that I prepped last night. We were tight for time, so I set it on high for 3.5 hours while we worked out and prepped the other food. 

Review:
By Josh: Amazing! Loved the level of spiciness and didn't even have to add any additional hot sauce or sriracha. Very tender chicken, tasted nice against the quinoa and black beans that we paired with it. Would like to have it rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla or with some chips nacho-style. 
By Amanda: Holy SPICY! I like the level of moisture left in the dish and the shredded style of the chicken was nice. But this dish was just way too spicy for me...I added my quinoa and black beans into it but it didn't help much. My mouth was on fire! The flavor was nice though and it pushed me to drink a bunch of water! I agree with Josh that a tortilla or chips would be a nice addition, really anything to tone down that heat would be nice. :) Next time...half of the red pepper flakes the recipe calls for ;)

Nutrition Stats:
Macros (based on a 6 oz serving):
Calories: 160
Fat: 2g
Carbs: 2g
Protein: 36g
Look at all of that protein! We paired our chicken with a super simple quinoa dish- quinoa, minced garlic and a can of drained and rinsed black beans- this made it more filling and a more complete dish. 

Bam! Spicy!
:) amc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It makes me so happy to hear from readers!
Let me know if you have any questions- I will always do my best to respond
:) amch