Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal: review & recipe

Gelato for Breakfast! 
I wish... that Talenti stuff is the bomb {pistachio!!!}!

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal

First you should know that I love oatmeal. Any kind really- Mom grew us up with Cream of Wheat or Quaker Oatmeal in the morning {and homemade egg mcmuffins, french toast, pancakes, fruit salad...I was spoiled, sooo good!}. I love that oatmeal is warm and hearty and filling, comfort food first thing in the day is simply beautiful! 

Second, I am ready for fall and was excited to use a recipe that calls for my slow cooker! 

Third, Steel Cut oats are a mystery that I have wanted to try

Fourth- I'm out of things to count. 

The slow cooker steel cut oatmeal recipe calls for you to cook your oatmeal overnight- very interesting! This recipe was the last thing for me to prep last night, so at around 11 p.m. I was one very tired girl that couldn't handle complex instructions. {And come morning, I was very happy to have to do nothing but stir and serve!}

{Full Recipe from He & She Here}

Make It Yourself:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats
  • 3 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • 10 cups water 
  • 1 cup  unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup Truvia for baking
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 


  1. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray
  2. Add all of the ingredients, yes even the TEN cups of water. I was hesitant as well- but it works out. 
  3. Set the slow cooker to cook for 8 hours on low
  4. GO TO SLEEP! 


Wake up in the morning and ignite your arm muscles by stirring the hell out of your oatmeal creation. 

This recipe makes at least a dozen servings so I pilled it all into one large storage container and will make single-serve cups before work each morning. 

Taste Test....

  • Creamy, Chewy, Thick, Well Seasoned
  • Glad I...added in fresh blueberries, the fresh fruit juice from the popped berries was completely necessary to wake this meal up and give it some fresh life
  • Wish I hadn't...added in a packet of protein powder to the single-serve, the oatmeal consistency didn't take well to a new powdery ingredient. I will not do that again.


Overall- great recipe! Left me full for about 2.5 to 3 hours, energized and warm on the inside! 

The nutrition stats:
Calories - 153
Fat - 3.1 g
Carbs - 30 g
Fiber - 4.4 g
Sugar - 0.8 g
Protein - 6.2 g

A great amount of protein, low on sugar and a healthy serving of fiber. 

Breakfast is WARM again! 
:) amc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It makes me so happy to hear from readers!
Let me know if you have any questions- I will always do my best to respond
:) amch